Dr. Jordan D. Larson
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC)
- Multi-sensor fusion
- Autonomous Swarms
- Signal and Data Processing
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota, 2018
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota, 2015
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota, 2013
Dr. Jordan Larson is an assistant professor at The University of Alabama in the department of aerospace engineering and mechanics. He received his bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate in aerospace engineering and mechanics from the University of Minnesota where he also spent one year as a post-doctoral research associate. While at Minnesota, he was fortunate enough to be a part of a variety of research projects at the University and for companies in the Twin Cities. These projects included cell phone-based navigation for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, or UAS, battery management systems for lead-acid batteries, multi-sensor fusion for vehicle management systems, and swarm guidance, navigation, and control, or GNC, using random finite sets, or RFS.
For his dissertation, Larson focused on adapting methods from Extreme Value Theory for improving the verification and validation of safety-critical systems. From this work, he pioneered the use of Gaussian-Pareto Overbounding, or GPO, which has the potential to be very advantageous in speeding up the development process of safety-critical systems.
At The University of Alabama, Larson is among the senior personnel of UA’s Remote Sensing Center, where he performs signal and data processing, develops precision navigation algorithms, and designs the flight computers for UAS sensing platforms. He is also starting a UAS lab to continue his work in GNC for autonomous swarms.
- D. Larson, B. Doerr, R. Linares, ”Autonomous Mission Planning for Swarms Using Random Finite Sets,” in Proceedings of the 2019 ION GNSS+ Conference. September 2019.
- D. Larson, D. Gebre-Egziabher, and J. H. Rife, ”Improving Navigation System Availability using Gaussian-Pareto Overbounding,” in Proceedings of the 2019 ION GNSS+ Conference. September 2019.
- D. Larson, D. Gebre-Egziabher, and J. H. Rife, ”Multivariate Overbounding with a Gaussian-Pareto Model,” in AIAA Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 148-161, January 2019.
- D. Larson, D. Gebre-Egziabher, and J. H. Rife, ”Gaussian-Pareto Overbounding of DGNSS Pseudoranges from CORS,” in NAVIGATION, the Journal of the Institute of Navigation, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 139-150, March 2019.
- Larson and D. Gebre-Egziabher, ”Conservatism Assessment of Extreme Value Theory Overbounds,” in IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 295-1307, June 2017.