Dr. Muhammad Ali Rob Sharif
- Associate Professor
Areas of Research
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Impinging Jet Heat Transfer
- Mixed and Natural Convective Heat Transfer
- Microchannel Heat Sink Simulation
- Nanofluid Flow Modeling
- Ph.D., Engineering Science, Clarkson University, 1988
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1984
- M.Engg., Hydraulic Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, 1976
- B.Sc.Engg., Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1973
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rob Sharif has extensive experience in numerical modeling of diversified thermal-hydraulic transport problems. Topics include:
- Turbulent impinging jet heat transfer from a surface.
- Conjugate heat transfer in microchannel cooling using nanofluids.
- Separation of nanoparticles form nanofluids (U.S. Department of Energy sponsored).
- Surface roughness effects on equilibrium and non-equilibrium turbulent boundary layer (Air Force Office of Scientific Research sponsored).
- Laminar and turbulent natural and mixed convection in cavities.
- Turbulent dispersed particulate flow – tundish flow application in steel casting (U.S. Department of Energy sponsored).
PUBLICATIONS AND PATENTS:
- Kaurwar, A., Gupta, S., Satankar, R.K., Oommen, J.M., Dave, L., Sharif, M.A.R., Soboyejo, A.B.O., Plappally, A.K., “Modeling Strength of Clay Ceramic Water Filtration Materials as a function of Surface,” Desalination and Water Treatment, Vol. 157, pp. 332-341, 2019.
- Papon, E.A., Haque, A., and Sharif, M.A.R., “Effect of Nozzle Geometry on Melt Flow Simulation and Structural Property of Thermoplastic Nanocomposites in Fused Deposition Modeling,” Proceedings of the American Society for Composites—Thirty-Second Technical Conference, October 23-25, 2017, West Lafayette, IN doi:10.12783/asc2017/15339.
- Afroz, F. and Sharif, M.A.R., “Numerical study of turbulent annular impinging jet flow and heat transfer from a flat surface,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 138, pp. 154-172, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.04.007.
- Afroz, F. and Sharif, M.A.R., “Numerical Analysis of the Flow Separation and Adverse Pressure Gradient in Laminar Boundary Layer over a Flat Plate Due to a Rotating Cylinder in the Vicinity,” Fluid Dynamics Research, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp 025501, 2018, doi:10.1088/1873-7005/aa9629.
- Sharif, M.A.R., “Numerical Analysis of Heat Transfer from a Hot Plane Surface Due to Round Turbulent Swirling Jet Impingement,” Computational Thermal Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 6 pp. 489–507, 2016. doi:10.1615/ComputThermalScien.2015014345.