Dr. James Paul Hubner
- Departmental Graduate Program Director
Areas of Research
- Experimental Aerodynamics and Mechanics
- Luminescence Sensing
- Micro Air Vehicles
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, 1991
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, 1990
Dr. Paul Hubner joined the Capstone in 2005 and was promoted to professor in 2019. Prior to joining the faculty at The University of Alabama, he was an adjunct assistant professor at the University of Florida and chief engineer for Aerochem Corporation. His research interests in experimental aerodynamics and solid mechanics include luminescent coatings, low Reynolds number flows, fluid-structure interactions and micro air vehicles. He is an associate fellow in the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and a current member of the American Physical Society.
Publications and Patents:
- Chen, M, D Crane and JP Hubner (2019) “Experimental Investigation of Rotor-Wing Interaction at Low Disk Loading and Low Reynolds Number,” AIAA Paper 2019-3034, June
- Chism, K, J Kawell and JP Hubner (2019) “Luminescent Measurement Technique for Analysis of Static and Dynamic Pressure and Strain Fields,”, AIAA Paper 2019-3150, June
- Wrist, A, and JP Hubner (2018) “Aerodynamic Comparisons of Flexible Membrane MAV Wings with Cambered and Flat Frames,” International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles, 10(1):12-30, DOI: 10.1177/1756829317705327
- Wahidi, R, SM Ölçmen and JP Hubner (2018) “Different Approaches to Applying POD Analysis to 3D3C Data in a Large Measurement Volume,” International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, DOI: 10.1615/InterJFluidMechRes.2018020625
- Zhang, Z, A Wrist, and JP Hubner (2017) “Effects of Leading-Edge Vibration on a Spanwise-Tensioned Membrane at Low Reynolds Number,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, 69:441-457, 10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2016.12.009
Honors and Awards:
- Excellence in Graduate Education, College of Engineering, 2019.
- Outstanding Commitment to Teaching Award, presented by The University of Alabama National Alumni Association for distinguished service and outstanding commitment to teaching, 2017.
- AIAA Outstanding Faculty Member, Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, 2015, 13, 12, 11, 10, 06.
- Zandman Award, presented by the Society of Experimental Mechanics for significant contributions in the field of photoelastic coatings, 2013.
- Tau Beta Pi Outstanding Faculty Member, College of Engineering, 2010.