Dr. Samit Roy
- William D. Jordan Professor
Areas of Research
- Composite Materials
- Nanostructured Materials
- Life Prediction of Bonded Joints
- Environemental Effects
- Damage and Fracture Mechanics
- Ph.D., Engineering Science and Mechanics, Virginia Tech, 1988
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech, 1986
- B.Tech, Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1981
- Multi-scale multi-physics modeling and performance prediction of composite materials and structures in high-temperature environments
- Testing and life-prediction of composites in aggressive hygro-thermal environments
- Scalable manufacturing of carbon nanotube sheet overwrapped carbon fibers for high interfacial strength carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) composites
- Out-of-autoclave manufacturing of thermoset and thermoplastic composites
- Manufacturing and characterization of self-healing thermoset composites with embedded thermoplastic particles and shape memory polymer (SMP) filaments
- Fracture and fatigue testing to determine mechanisms at the micro/nanoscale for toughness enhancement in composites
- Structural health management and damage prognosis using embedded actuators and sensors
Publications and Patents:
- Xuemin Wang, T. Xu, P. Kokkada, S. Roy, R. Baughman, and H. Lu, Modeling the Compressive Buckling Strain as a Function of the Nanocomposite Interphase Thickness in a Carbon Nanotube Sheet Wrapped Carbon Fiber Composite, Journal of Applied Mechanics, October 2019, Vol. 86 / 101007-1.
- Pruthul Kokkada, S. Roy, V. Unnikrishnan, and H. Lu, A Multiscale Model to Study the Enhancement in the Compressive Strength of Multi-walled CNT Sheet Overwrapped Carbon Fiber Composites, Composite Structures, 219, July 2019, pp. 170-178.
- Sushan Nakarmi, Tanvir Sohail, and Samit Roy, An Investigation of Flaw-Size Independence of Cohesive Traction- Separation Law at the Nanoscale: A Molecular Dynamics Study, Engineering Fracture Mechanics 215 (2019), pp. 235-245.
- Roy and A. Roy, A Computational Investigation of Length-Scale Effects in the Fracture Behavior of a Graphene Sheet using the Atomistic J-Integral, Engineering Fracture Mechanics 207 (2019) pp. 165–180 .
- Bodiuzzaman, M. Thapa, S. Mulani, and S. Roy, Repeatable Self-Healing of Thermosetting Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites with Thermoplastic Healant, Smart Materials and Structures 28 (2019) 025037 (13pp).
Honors and Awards:
- Outstanding Research Award in Composites, American Society for Composites, 2019
- AEM Outstanding Ph.D. Mentoring Award, University of Alabama, 2017
- Awarded Summer Faculty Fellowship by Air Force Research Laboratory/RXCC, Dayton, Ohio, June 6-July 29, 2016
- Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME, 2010
- Associate Fellow of American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA, 2007