History of the Department
The University of Alabama established a Department of Engineering Mechanics in 1912. In 1993, it was renamed the Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics to reflect its evolving interests.
Aeronautical engineering courses were first taught at the University in 1928. In 1937, the Department of Aeronautical Engineering was among the first 10 aeronautical engineering programs to become fully accredited in the United States and has continuously maintained its accreditation. In 1961, it was renamed the Department of Aerospace Engineering.
The two departments merged into its present state in 1996. Throughout its existence, the program has graduated numerous students who have achieved successful careers in industry, education, the military and government. These students have been able to utilize the technical education they received at the Capstone in careers in a wide range of fields ranging from engineering to computer science to business and medical fields.
Read more about UA’s Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics in Aeronautics and Aerospace Engineering at The University of Alabama.